Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Thinking Further than Right Now

Losing weight means you will need to be making sacrifices whether that means eating less ice cream, doing more exercise you don't enjoy too much, or drinking more boring water. When we sacrifice something, it's because we are expecting something to come of it, something good. In our case here it is losing the weight, looking better, being healthier, etc. Some of us find that making these sacrifices for a long enough period of time is worth it. It's worth it because we will reach our goals of losing those 10, 15 or 50 pounds. Other feel that the effort required is not worth it and they give up. This is a fair conclusion and maybe when the time is right those people will realize that the sacrifices today are worth the outcome tomorrow.

This is is a vague way of saying what I want to say. While at work today, I had a major craving for cookies. Our cookies are delicious, moist and full of chocolate. My hand almost had a mind of its own, but I gained control over it. My thought process was as follows: I can eat the cookie now and feel great now or I can not eat the cookie now and feel great in a few minutes, in a few hours and even tomorrow. I did just that and I feel great as we speak. My will power came through and i'm proud of myself for it. No one said losing weight is easy, in fact it's one of the most difficult things we choose to do. If we always think about instant gratification then our goal to lose weight will never work. You must think about long term satisfaction, about feeling proud of yourself and feeling accomplished when you step on the scale in a week from now!

Just remember the near future instead of the present time. Yes, sometimes the present time will win and we will give into our temptations. This is completely normal and in some way, i'd say it's necessary. As long as this is not the reality most of the time.

I hope this made sense, as I am extremely tired but felt then need to write about this. Have a good night guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment