Sunday, January 8, 2012

Successful Weekend

When i'm watching what I eat, I usually fear the weekends. Friends, fun and unhealthy food are usually the way my weekends go! I usually eat much more when i'm having a good time, so being around friends and having chips, cookies, beer and all those delicious things around me is dangerous. Now, i'm not saying I gave all those things up. That would be just stupid. The point is not to deprive yourself and rewards are definitely necessary, but in my case I know what when i'm in a good mood and having fun, I no longer have control over what I eat and how much of it I eat. So that's why, at least on the weekends, I want to try to stay away from junk food as much as I can.

Last night my girlfriend and I went over to a friend's house. It was a chill night watching hockey, playing games and conversing. There was obviously food around, however, to my surprise it was almost all healthy stuff! We also brought a bag of pretzels (replacing the chips) and my girlfriend decided to bring some candy. For the record, candy is something I have no problem avoiding. I do no crave it, nor do I really like it. Anyways, our friends had prepared a beautiful veggie platter with a yogurt based dip. There were carrots, celery, cherry tomatoes and green peppers. My routine was the same: I was having a good time so I just kept stuffing my face. (I know this is something I should work on in the near future but one thing at a time). I just kept eating these veggies and these pretzels all night and I felt guilt free after all was said and done!
 

Pretzels are a delicious alternative to chips and other salty no-no's. They are crunchy, salty and take a while to chew and completely swallow so in the end you eat less of them. My brand of choice are the Rold Gold Sticks (See image). Per serving size (about 90 pretzels), they contain 190 calories, 0 grams of fat, 2 grams of fibre and 4 grams of protein. During the times when I had lost a large portion of my weight, these were a staple in my pantry. They were a quick, filling and satisfying snack. I definitely reccomend keeping a bag or two close by. If you really want to control your portions, you can also measure out portions in small, resealable bags.

All in all, this weekend was successful in my eyes. Were there things I could've changed? Probably, but right now i'm concentrating on the good and this weekend there was lots of that! Here's to ending the week a few pounds lighter!

Have a great rest of the weekend and make sure to check back tomorrow for my weigh-in!

No comments:

Post a Comment